- Counting the Omer
- Spring Fundraiser
- Worship services
- Coming up at Yavneh
- In the Community
Counting the Omer
We have reached week six in the counting of the Omer, the period of 49 days between Pesach (Passover) and Shavuot. Through counting the Omer, we link liberation with revelation. You can count along with Yavneh on our Facebook page or Yavneh's website.
Yavneh's Spring 2015 Fundraiser successfully met the $12,500 match pledged by several generous Board members, but additional contributions are still welcome. Please visit our website to make a donation.
- Friday Evening Kabbalat Shabbat, May 15, 7:45 pm
- Saturday Evening, Erev Shavuot, May 23, 8:00pm, worship, dessert, and study into the late night, with our friends from Beth Meyer. Meet at Beth Meyer Synagogue, 504 Newton Rd, Raleigh.
- Friday Evening Shabbat Gathering and Annual General Meeting, Friday June 5, 6:30 - 8:30 pm. Come to learn about and vote on important changes planned for Yavneh. We will enjoy heavy hors d’oeuvres and dessert, and after the meeting welcome Shabbat together. Open to all, but you must be a member of Yavneh to vote.
Please remember to bring donations for the Food Basket or school supplies for Wilburn Elementary when you attend services. NOTE - Wilburn is currently well-stocked with clothing supplies and does not need any more at this time. THANK YOU!
Coming up at Yavneh
- Mitzvot Study Group meets Wednesday May 20, 7:30 – 9:00 pm. Contact Lewis for information/RSVP.
- Dinner and Schmooze with the Rabbi, Sunday, May 17, 6:30 pm, at Sassool. RSVP here or on Meetup.
- Mark your calendar for Yavneh's Annual General Meeting, Friday June 5, 6:30 - 8:30 pm. - read more above under Worship Services.
In the Community
- Sam Glaser in Concert - Sunday, May 17th, 7pm, Beth Meyer Synagogue. Glaser has captivated the Jewish world with his unique vision, exuberant music making and insatiable appetite for Jewish outreach. He has gained a devoted following of fans of all ages for his distinctive blend of Pop, Jazz and Rock coupled with timely Jewish concepts. More information here.
- The Wildacres B’nai B’rith Institute of Judaism, set in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC, held August 10 - August 13, offers fully kosher meals (kosher wine & cheese reception too), breathtaking mountain views, twin bedded rooms with private bath, live entertainment and three speakers a day. Scholars-in-residence include media personality Dr. Ruth Westheimer; Geoffrey Melada, editor-in-chief of the Washington Jewish Week; and Professor Don Habibi, UNC-Wilmington. Entertainment includes Yavneh member Scott Davis, storyteller and publisher. Discounts for early registration. For more information, please contact Karen Shectman (Karen8207@aol.com / (785) 554-88078) or Bill Carr (firstname.lastname@example.org / (919) 781-4207) or visit http://www.synthed.com/wildacre/w09broch.htm.